Begin Main Content Area

Renewing Your Registration

Renewing your vehicle and/or trailer registration can, in most cases, be completed online, at any of PennDOT's Online Messenger services or through the mail. Mailing instructions can be found on the back of the applicable forms. 

To renew online you will need your registration plate number, title number, insurance information, odometer reading, a valid credit card, and a printer. At the end of the transaction, you will be given the opportunity to print a receipt and a permanent registration credential. PennDOT will no longer mail a registration card for registrations renewed online.


Please refer to Form MV-70S, "Bureau of Motor Vehicles Schedule of Fees," for a complete listing of current renewal fees and for a reduced processing fee in leiu of registration for individuals who qualify for retired status.

If you are renewing a truck/trailer, the registration fee (PDF) will vary depending on the registered gross weight. 

The applicant’s county of residence may implement an annual $5 fee for local use for each non-exempt vehicle registered to an address in that county. The $5 is collected by PennDOT at the time a vehicle is initially registered and annually at the time the registration is renewed. The fee is based on the number of years a customer registers their vehicle. Customers who register their vehicle for multiple years will pay the annual $5 fee for every year of registration. This means customers will pay a fee of $10 for a two-year and $25 for a five-year vehicle registration. For more information regarding the fee for local use, refer to the Fee for Local Use – Participating Counties Fact Sheet (PDF).

Optional Two-Year Registration Renewal

Act 89, which became law on November 25, 2013, amends many sections of Title 75, the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code. Act 89 represents an investment in Pennsylvania’s future: increasing public safety, driving commerce, creating jobs and providing reliable funding for our transportation needs without leaving the bill to our future generations.
Act 89 also provided for optional two-year registration renewal. Customers may elect to pay a two-year registration fee for a two-year registration period for certain types of motor vehicles. The fee shall be two times the amount of the registration fee payable for the motor vehicle registration. Motor vehicles registered under the International Registration Plan, and motor vehicles with a seasonal registration or circus carnival plate are not eligible for two-year registration.
For initial issuance of registration plates, a customer may choose a two-year registration period. In addition, registration renewal coupons with an April 2017 expiration date or later will include both the one-year and the two-year registration fees. If the fee listed in the “2-yr fee” block on the registration renewal form is shaded gray that vehicle type is not eligible to renew for a two-year period.  In addition, vehicle owners who pay a processing fee in lieu of registration are not eligible for a two-year registration period.

Duplicate Registration Cards and Plates

Apply for a Duplicate Registration Card Online 
Duplicate registration cards may be obtained through our website. Customers can get their duplicate registration card free at the time of their online renewal. Duplicate registration cards may also be secured if your registration card has been lost, stolen or defaced. No fees are required for a duplicate registration card secured online through PennDOT's publicly accessible website. 

Issue with Printing Registration Renewal Card Online
If you renewed your registration online and an error occurred which would not allow you to print a permanent registration credential at the time of the online registration transaction, you may use our website and request a free reprint. No fees are required if it is completed through PennDOT's publicly accessible website.

Apply for a Duplicate or Replacement Registration Card or Standard Issue Plate Through the Mail (USPS) 
To request a duplicate registration card or replacement registration (license) plate if yours has been lost, stolen or defaced, you will need to complete Form MV-44 (PDF). Appropriate fees should be included with the MV-44 (PDF) in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Please refer to MV-70S, “Bureau of Motor Vehicles Schedule of Fees,” for required fees. If applying for a specialty type registration plate, please refer to the appropriate form to apply for that type of specialty registration plate.