Begin Main Content Area

REAL ID Info: 
Non-U.S. Citizens

REAL ID Documentation for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are a lawfully present non-U.S. citizen, you are eligible to apply for a REAL ID driver's license or ID card. All documents must show the same name and/or date of birth, or an association between the information on the documents. All immigration documents must reflect your current name.

Proof of Identity

If you are a lawfully present non-U.S. citizen, acceptable documents include:


  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (EAD) issued by DHS; Forms I-766 or Form 1-688B
  • Valid, Unexpired Permanent Resident Card I-551 Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) Issued by DHS or INS
  • Unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired U.S. visa affixed, and an I-94 indicating temporary evidence of permanent residence



Some non-U.S. citizens may be required to present additional documentation. Additional information on document requirements non-U.S. citizens can be found here.

Proof of Social Security Number

You must present your social security card when applying for a REAL ID. Your card must be original. If you do not have a social security number, you must provide an original copy of your SSA ineligibility letter

If you have a social security card and need a replacement, you can get one from the Social Security Administration at no cost - use this tool to find a social security office near you.

Proof of your Pennsylvania Residency

You will need to provide TWO documents to prove your Pennsylvania residency when applying for a REAL ID. Examples of acceptable residency documents include:

  • Current, unexpired PA driver's license or photo ID card
  • PA vehicle registration card
  • Auto insurance card
  • A computer-generated utility bill showing your name and address
  • A W-2 form
  • Tax records
  • Lease agreements or mortgage documents

REAL ID Product Expiration

The expiration date of your first REAL ID product will depend on your immigration status.

Lawful Permanent Resident

If you are a permanent resident of the United States (Green Card holder), when you get your first REAL ID driver's license or ID card, you will pay a one-time fee of $30, plus applicable renewal fees. The expiration date of the initial REAL ID product will include any time remaining on your current license or ID card, plus an additional four years.

Once your first REAL ID product expires, you will go back to a regular four-year renewal cycle and will pay no additional fees to have a REAL ID product.

Temporary Status

If you have temporary immigration status, the expiration date on your first REAL ID product will match the expiration date on your immigration documentation. You will pay a one-time fee of $30, plus a duplicate product fee (current duplicate fee is $30.50), or the applicable renewal fee based on your immigration status.