Driver Improvement School
PennDOT is now holding a Driver Improvement School course for drivers whose record has been reduced below six points and for the second time shows as many as six points, or when they have been cited for excessive speeding (31 mph over the posted speed limit), as outlined in the PA Vehicle Code, § 1538, and are required to attend a Departmental hearing.
At the conclusion of a points hearing, the Department shall determine if the driver should attend the Driver Improvement School, undergo an examination as provided for in § 1508 of PA Vehicle Code, or serve a 15-day suspension of their driving privilege. Successful completion of the Driver Improvement School or a 15-day suspension of their driving privilege shall result in the removal of two points from the driver's record.
At the conclusion of a high-speed hearing, the Department shall determine if the driver should attend the Driver Improvement School, undergo an examination as provided for in § 1508 of PA Vehicle Code, or serve a 15-day suspension of their driving privilege. If the driver successfully completes the Driver Improvement School, the 15-day suspension of their driving privileges will be avoided. The Driver Improvement School covers driver responsibility and awareness, risk awareness, interacting with other roadway users, managing driving tasks and is designed to provide knowledge, skills and techniques to improve driver-related choices to reduce future violations and, possibly, traffic crashes.
The six-hour course will be presented in two, three-hour sessions over a two-day period. Once scheduled for the Driver Improvement School, full participation is required as is passing a final exam with a score of 80% or higher based on a series of multiple-choice questions. Failure to attend the required course, or meet the requirements of the course, will result in a 60-day suspension of the driver's driving privileges.
The sessions are currently being held in person at the following Driver License Centers, with virtual sessions coming in the near future:
- Erie Driver License Center, Summit Towne Center, 7200 Peach St., Suite 480, Erie, PA 1509
- Butler Driver License Center, 158 Point Plaza, Butler, PA 16001
- Rockview/Pleasant Gap Driver License Center, 812 W. College Ave., Pleasant Gap, PA 16823
- Wilkes-Barre Driver License Center, 1085 Hanover St., Wilkes-Barre, PA 18706
- Chambersburg Driver License Center, 1320 Lincoln Hwy. East, Franklin Center, Chambersburg, PA 17202
- York Driver License Center, S. York Value Center, 2130 S. Queen St., York, PA 17403
- Norristown Driver License Center, 1700 Markley St., Suite 30, Norristown, PA 19401.
Drivers may only attend the Driver Improvement School if required as a result of a Departmental hearing; they may not request to attend on their own.