Begin Main Content Area

Moving Out of State

Please contact the DMV in the state you will be moving to for information pertaining to registering your vehicle and transferring your driver's license.
After you have a new license plate from the state you are moving to, please return your PA license plate to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Return Tag Unit
P.O. Box 68597
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8597
Once your plate has been received, it will be marked as a "dead tag." Returning your PA license plate to PennDOT, will help protect you from someone using your plate fraudulently.
Customers moving out of state are not eligible to record their change of address online. If requesting residency exemption for a change of address to your driver's license, please fill out Form DL-82 (PDF) "Out of State Exemption" and mail it to the address indicated on the form. To record a change of address on your vehicle registration information, please fill out Form MV-8 (PDF), "Self Certification  for Proof of Residency" and mail it to the address indicated on the form.