Begin Main Content Area

Gender Designation Options on PennDOT Driver's Licenses and Photo ID Cards

Based on customer feedback and PennDOT’s principles of inclusive services, PennDOT has developed a simple way for Pennsylvanians to change the gender designation on their driver’s license or photo ID card.

PennDOT is proud of its long history of accommodating Pennsylvanians with different needs, from offering knowledge testing and services in 18 languages to providing privacy screens for customers with sensory issues or other needs that would benefit from privacy while their license or ID photo is taken.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the gender designation options available?

Gender designation options on Pennsylvania driver’s licenses and photo ID cards are “M” (male), “F” (female) or “X” (non-binary).

How do I change my gender designation? 

Customers who wish to change their gender designation should fill out Form DL-32 and bring it to any PennDOT Driver License Center to complete the process. A gender designation change must be completed in person at a PennDOT Driver License Center.

I am applying for my first Pennsylvania driver’s license or photo ID card. My gender is different than what is reflected on my proof of identity document. What do I need to do to make sure the correct designation appears on my product?

If your gender is different than what is reflected on your proof of identity document, you will need to provide the appropriate initial issuance form along with a completed Form DL-32, other required documentation, and applicable fee.

Does a doctor or social worker need to sign off on a person's request to change their gender designation?

No, Form DL-32 does not require the signoff of a medical or social service provider. 

Do I need to pay a fee to change my gender designation?

There is no fee to change your gender designation for non-commercial, non-REAL ID products, but if you want to get a duplicate license or photo ID card reflecting the change in gender designation, applicable duplicate fees will apply.

If you have a commercial driver's license or a REAL ID product, a gender designation change is considered a "material change," and you must get a duplicate product and pay applicable duplicate fees

What is a non-binary gender designation?

Traditionally, driver's licenses and ID cards have had two gender designation options: "M" (male) or "F" (female). A non-binary designation, which appears on a driver's license or photo ID card as an "X," is a third option for individuals who would prefer such a designation. 

Can a person with a non-binary gender designation get a REAL ID?

Yes. REAL ID regulations require a gender designation of some kind on REAL ID-compliant driver's licenses and ID cards. A non-binary, or "X" designation, meets these requirements, and people with the "X" gender indicator may get a REAL ID-compliant driver's license or photo ID card. For more information on how to obtain a REAL ID, visit our REAL ID website.

If someone has a non-binary gender designation on their driver's license or ID card, can they get a non-binary designation on their U.S. Passport?

For information on passports, visit the U.S. Department of State's website.