Begin Main Content Area

REAL ID Info for CDL Holders

REAL ID Adult CDLREAL ID-compliant versions of all Pennsylvania driver's license types are available, including commercial driver's licenses.

Transportation Worker Identification Credentials, or TWIC Cards , are on TSA's list acceptable identification  to board a domestic flight. If you have a TWIC card, that will be acceptable ID for boarding a domestic flight after May 7, 2025.

Please note: CDL holders are currently NOT eligible to apply for REAL ID online - you must apply in person at a PennDOT Driver License Center.

Document Requirements

While the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requires the presentation of certain documents for CDL renewals, document requirements for REAL ID are different. If a CDL holder chooses to get a REAL ID, they are still required to present the required documents to PennDOT.

U.S. citizens will need to present original versions or certified copies (if applicable) of the following documents, per federal regulations. These documents can be taken to any PennDOT Driver License Center for pre-verification:

  • Proof of Identity
    • Examples: Original or certified copy of a birth certificate with a raised/embossed seal (not a sticker) or valid U.S. Passport
      *Please note that hospital or commemorative certificates are not acceptable
  • Proof of Social Security Number - proof must display current legal name and full nine (9) digits of the Social Security Number:
    • A Social Security card;
    • A W-2 form;
    • A SSA-1099 from;
    • A non-SSA-1099 form; or
    • A pay stub;
  • Two Proofs of Current, Physical PA Address
      • Examples: Current, unexpired PA license or ID, PA vehicle registration, auto insurance card,  utility bill with the same name and address
  • Proof of all Legal Name Changes (if applicable)
    • Examples: Certified marriage certificate or court order issued by your county's family court
      *Please note: You must show a complete name change history that links your birth certificate name to your current name. If you have a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card with your legal name, you may use that as your name change document.

    For information on REAL ID for non-U.S. citizens, please visit our REAL ID Info for Non-U.S. Citizens page.

    Costs and Expiration

    Renewal is built into the REAL ID opt-in process for non-commercial drivers, but because renewal fees for commercial drivers are more expensive, CDL holders have two options when obtaining a REAL ID:

    1. When you opt into REAL ID, renew your CDL at the same time.
      You'll pay a one-time fee of $30, plus the applicable renewal fee. Your first REAL ID CDL will include all the time remaining on your existing product, plus four additional years. For example, if your current CDL expires in March 2022 and you get your first REAL ID in March 2019, your first REAL ID CDL will expire in March 2026. Once your first REAL ID CDL expires, you'll go back to a regular four-year renewal cycle and you won't pay any additional fees (beyond normal renewal fees) to have a REAL ID CDL vs. a non-REAL ID CDL.

    2. When you opt into REAL ID, get a duplicate CDL.
      You'll pay a one-time fee of $30, plus a duplicate fee (the current duplicate fee is $31.50). The expiration date of your first REAL ID CDL will be the same as the expiration date on your current product.