Begin Main Content Area

Frequently Asked Questions:

Get Adobe AcrobatSome documents within the FAQs are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print. This software is provided free of charge and you may download the latest version by clicking on the ‘Get Acrobat Reader’ button.

What are the hours that PennDOT offices are open?

Office hours and availability vary by location and/or day. Customer service representatives are available by phone 8 a.m. through 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Harrisburg Driver & Vehicle Service Center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays 7:30 a.m. to noon. Driver License Centers are open Tuesday through Saturday with hours generally 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Directions to each site and their hours may be verified by going to Locate a Service Center. Messenger Services are open extended hours determined by each site.

What is the address for PennDOT? I lost the envelope to mail my renewal.

The renewal may be mailed to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Harrisburg, PA 17122

If I sell my car, what must I do?

Legal transfer of vehicle ownership occurs when both the seller and purchaser, sign the Pennsylvania title in front of a notary public. You will need to disclose purchase price information and mileage (excluding trailers) (Form MV-4ST) at the time of transfer. The purchaser is required to submit the title transfer documentation to PennDOT within 20 days of the notarization.

If I was in an accident, am I required to notify PennDOT?

If the Police do not investigate an accident and someone has died or been injured, or if a vehicle must be towed, send a Driver's Accident Report (Form AA-600) within 5 days to:
Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
Bureau of Highway Safety and Traffic Engineering
P. O. Box 2047
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2047

Can I drive in Pennsylvania with my Foreign Driver's License?

Individuals who possess a valid foreign driver's license from their country are authorized to drive in Pennsylvania for up to one year from their date of entry into the United States, or upon expiration of their foreign license, whichever comes first. International driving permits are strongly recommended, but not required.

What is the Pennsylvania point system and how does it work?

The Department of Transportation maintains a driving record for every licensed driver in Pennsylvania. Points are added to a driving record when a driver is found guilty of certain driving (moving) violations. The purpose of the point system is to help improve driving habits and to ensure safe driving. The Department begins to take corrective actions when a driving record reaches 6 or more points. 'The Pennsylvania Point System' brochure ( Pub 472) is now available for downloading on this website.

Why does PennDOT need my Social Security Number on driver's license/learner's permit and photo ID applications?


Where can I find out more about young driver laws?

Please reference Pennsylvania’s Young Driver Law Fact Sheet, where you can learn more about such issues a young driver laws and some basics of safe driving.

Where can I find out more about vehicle liability insurance on a (un)registered vehicle?

For information about Pennsylvania’s motor vehicle insurance requirements, download the Insurance Law Fact Sheet.
Where can I find more information about the Driver License Compact (DLC)?
For more information about DLC, download the DLC Fact Sheet.
What are my rights and privileges if I am a member of the US Armed Forces?
The PennDOT publication, United States Armed Forces Personnel Rights and Privileges ( Pub176), is now available for downloading on this website.

What insurance information do I need to renew my vehicle registration online, and where can I find it?

You will need the name of your insurance company, your policy number, the policy effective date, and the policy expiration date. This information is located on your insurance card.

What is a NAIC number and where do I find it on my insurance card?

Every insurance company licensed to conduct business in Pennsylvania has been issued a National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) number. This number appears on most, but not all, insurance cards. NAIC numbers can be found on the Pennsylvania Insurance Department's Website. Select the letter that your automobile insurance company starts with to locate your Insurance Company's NAIC, or simply contact your insurance agent. Please note that you do not need your NAIC code to renew your vehicle registration online.

Can I donate to the Organ Donation Awareness Trust Fund (ODTF) when I renew my Driver’s License/Photo ID or vehicle registration by Internet?

Yes. You are asked during the renewal process if you wish to donate $1.00.

What is ODTF and why should I donate?

The ODTF is the Organ Donation Awareness Trust Fund. Your $1.00 contribution will help support educational programs throughout the state to heighten understanding about organ, tissue, and corneal donation.
For further information on the ODTF please visit the Pennsylvania Department of Health website.

Can I donate to the Veterans' Trust Fund (VTF) when I renew my Driver's License/Photo ID or Vehicle Registration by Internet?

Yes. You are asked during the renewal process if you wish to donate $3.00.

What is VTF and why should I donate?

VTF is the Veterans' Trust Fund. Your $3.00 contribution will help to provide care and aid for Pennsylvania's Veterans.