Begin Main Content Area

Frequently Asked Questions:
Titling and Vehicle Registration

Get Adobe AcrobatSome documents within the FAQs are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print. This software is provided free of charge and you may download the latest version by clicking on the ‘Get Acrobat Reader’ button.

How do I know if my vehicle is eligible to renew online?

Most passenger vehicles that are currently insured (trailers do not require insurance) and trucks weighing 54,999 pounds or less are eligible to renew with the following exceptions:
  • Dealer registrations
  • Fleet vehicles
  • Suspended registrations
  • Apportioned vehicles
  • Biennial vehicles
  • Seasonal registration
  • Disabled Veteran code
  • Taxi registrations
  • Limo registrations
  • Bus registrations
Please note that Internet renewal processing will also NOT be permitted if your current name/address is not presently on file with PennDOT or more than 6 months remain on your current registration period.

Is there a minimum or maximum age requirement for registering a motor vehicle?

Pennsylvania law does not dictate a minimum or maximum age for owning/registering a vehicle. However, you should check with your insurance company to see if they have any restrictions regarding an owner’s age.

How long will it take to receive my registration card?

You will receive your permanent registration card within ten (10) days.

What if I don’t receive my Vehicle Registration card in ten (10) days?

You will need to complete the 'Application for Duplicate Registration Card, Replacement of Registration Plate, Renewal Sticker or Weight Class Sticker of Transfer of Registration' (Form MV-44).

Can I renew my vehicle registration if I do not currently have insurance on my vehicle?

No. Only trailers are exempt from maintaining insurance.

How do I renew my Vehicle Registration?


Where do I get my motor vehicle forms?


What if I did not receive my application to renew my vehicle registration?

If you never received an application to renew your registration in the mail or you lost your renewal application, you may use the ‘Request for Registration/Renewal’ ( Form MV-140). Applications are also available at any messenger service office or any Driver and Vehicle Service Center location.
If you choose, a notary, messenger service or motor club can also help you get your renewal processed, but they may charge you a fee to do so.

How do I get a duplicate Vehicle Registration?

To obtain a duplicate registration card and/or renewal sticker, you will want to complete the 'Application for Duplicate Registration, Replacement of Registration Plate, Renewal Sticker or Weight Class Sticker or Transfer of Registration' (Form MV-44).

How do I change my address on my Pennsylvania Vehicle Registration?

Pennsylvania requires that you report any new address to PennDOT within 15 days of moving.
For vehicle registrations, you may change your address using our Online Service, or you may fill out the 'Change of Address for Driver’s License, Photo ID and Vehicle Registration' (Form MV-63) and drop it in the mail. We will send a new registration card for your vehicle.

How much does it cost to renew my registration?

Please visit our Fees page for additional information.

I received a renewal application for a vehicle I no longer have. What should I do?

If the registration plate listed on the invitation to renew was transferred to a new vehicle and was not renewed at the time you transferred your registration plate, you must complete the 'Request for Registration/Renewals' ( Form MV-140) to renew your registration plate.
If the registration plate was not transferred and is no longer needed, please return the plate to the following address:
Return Tag Unit
P.O. Box 68597
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8597

I have just moved to Pennsylvania. How do I transfer/apply for Vehicle Registration? How soon must I apply?

Please visit our New Residents page where you can learn more about transferring/applying for a Pennsylvania vehicle registration.

What documents do I need to transfer ownership to a Pennsylvania vehicle?

You will need the Pennsylvania title and Form MV-4ST.

How do I get a duplicate title?

You must complete the 'Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title by Owner' ( Form MV-38O). If you are the lien holder of the vehicle, you will need ‘Application for Certificate of Title by Lien holder' ( Form MV-38L).

What is an apportioned registration?

Apportioned Registration is needed when a vehicle(s) travels or is intended for travel in two or more of the member jurisdictions and is used for the transportation of persons for hire or is designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property, and (1) is a power unit having a gross or registered weight in excess of 26,000 pounds, or (2) is a power unit having three or more axles regardless of weight, or (3) is used in combination when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.