Skip Navigation LinksDMV > Driver Services > Commercial Driver > Transfer CDL Hazmat Endorsement

Transfer CDL Hazmat Endorsement

Important Information on Fingerprinting Services

Please be advised that as of close of business on Friday, November 17, 2017, the Commonwealth will have a new supplier for fingerprinting services.  Individuals who are not registered and fingerprinted before this date must wait until November 28, 2017 to receive those services through the new provider, Idemia. * 

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For additional information, please visit Idemia’s IndentoGO Pennsylania website.

*The only exceptions that will be made during that time frame will be for individuals who have an issue with a fingerprint taken prior to November 17 and will be reprinted by November 27. Those individuals who do not get their reprint by November 27 will need to re-register with the new provider and will have 90 days to get their reprint at no cost.

New Residents Transferring Their Commercial Driver's License with a HAZMAT Endorsement

Federal law requires all HAZMAT drivers to have a security threat assessment completed by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), once completed they are valid for up to five years.  A HAZMAT endorsement cannot be issued for a period that extends past the TSA threat assessment approval.  Because Pennsylvania issues a four (4) year driver’s license, if your last TSA assessment will be valid through the expiration of your new CDL, you may processed with the below process. 


Step 1: 

Visit a PennDOT Driver License Center with the following:

•    Your valid out-of-state CDL and one acceptable form of identification.

•    Your Social Security card,

•    A check or money order made payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee. No cash is accepted,

•    Two proofs of residency.

Step 2: 

You will be given a vision test.

Step 3: 

You will be required to successfully complete the HAZMAT Endorsement Knowledge Test (30 questions).

Note: If you do not pass the test the first time, you will have to return another day if you want to keep the HAZMAT Endorsement.  You have 30 days to transfer your CDL to Pennsylvania after establishing residence.  If you do not want to retain your HAZMAT Endorsement, you may transfer your out-of-state CDL to PA.  You always have the option of adding the HAZMAT Endorsement at a later date. 

Step 4: 

You will need to have federal approval to retain HAZMAT endorsement at time of transfer. The TSA secure portal will be accessed by driver licensing staff to verify your TSA assessment validity period. 

Step 5: 

If it is confirmed that your TSA threat assessment will expire after your new CDL will expire you can transfer your CDL with a H endorsement by submitting DL-180RCD (PDF)  form and fees at a PennDOT Driver License Center.

Step 6: 

If all steps are successfully completed and the appropriate approvals obtained, your CDL will be transferred and issued your new CDL with HAZMAT endorsement.
If your TSA assessment will not be valid through the expiration date of your license, you will need a new TSA assessment before you can transfer your CDL into Pennsylvania.